I created this website (run on WordPress) as part of my job as a working student at HolidayCheck. The design was mostly taken over from its German counterpart (Designed by Thomas Witt).
Extensive customization was requested, only to name a few:
- Making it possible to run two sites on one WordPress install (traffic: ca. 1000 visits/day)
- Internationalizing the existing theme
- Customized post editor, based on user role
- Possibility to assign certain categories to a particular author (admin can access them all)
- Dynamically building of author overview page (based on name and post count)
- Dynamically creating the Google Analytics code (now deprecated)
- Click-Tracking for Google Analytics
Additionally various custom sidebar widgets were necessary:
- Archive widget with jQuery toggle
- Deep-link widget with dynamic target URLs on HolidayCheck, based on the current category of the blog post
- Category widget with the possibility to exclude certain category IDs
- Recommendation widget: Dynamically sending out emails to a provided email address, with jQuery handling the input field description
In the second part of the project I created a theme framework to be able to maintain the blogs more comfortably. For this purpose various action- and filter-hooks had to be defined in the parent theme, and all templates had to be abstracted to make individualizing it easier.